Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Second pre-writing assignment

When I first looked at my sculpture I wasn't sure what to think of it. I had never really seen a piece of work like it, the sculpture looks more like a painting or a picture than anything. My first impression of the sculpture besides not being sure of what to think of it was that it is a very abstract piece of work. It has no real uniformed pattern to it, the sculpture almost looks like a circuit board or an overview of a futuristic city. Then after my initial thoughts I started to think about the significance of the sculptures name. The sculpture is titled "Untitled Relief" I think this title means that it is a relief that the sculpture does not have a name. That maybe the viewer of the sculpture can take the meaning of the piece anyway they choose. The title could also be the creator of the piece saying that its a relief that the sculpture is not like your ordinary sculpture. That the piece is more like a painting or a picture, one that you can touch. Maybe the title is saying that its a relief that you can touch this picture, unlike every other one you see in the galleries or anywhere else. These were the questions I asked myself when thinking about the sculptures name.

Next I got a little closer and started looking at all the shapes and bumps in the sculpture. I started to feel the sculpture; there were many different textures and grooves. I think the author incorporated these textures for a reason, I think he wants the viewer to touch and feel his sculpture. The sculpture also has a rusty look to it and is made of iron. The piece itself could of been a different color before it was put outside on display. I think the author created it to be an outside piece of work, thats why it was made with iron. I think the sculpture having so many textures and being outside connects it to its audience, giving it a sense of ethos. The ethos comes from the viewer being able to touch the sculpture. Then there is the rhetorical colors of pathos in the sculpture, the sculptures dark hue blends the whole sculpture together. To see everything that is going on in the sculpture you have to look closley to what is going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment